Monday, January 7, 2013

Small Beginnings

The hardest thing right now for me, in regards to working out, is just plain lack of time. I've tried getting up early, but then I lose sleep. I don't want to get all sweaty on my lunch hour, and its usually full, anyway. Finally, I've just given in to the fact that I have to do it between dinner and bedtime, around managing the kids. Nothing ideal about it.

But isn't that life?

It usually seems that the most important things in life are also the least convenient. Making the most of a teachable moment, pausing to talk to a stranger...the list is endless. It seems like the convenient things are, well, just tasteless. Like a microwave meal. Yeah, they get the job done, but they don't really satisfy the way sacrifice does.

So I just spent 10 minutes on the AirDyne in our basement, and had a good stretch afterwards. Nothing glamorous, far from ideal, but I feel good. Kiah laughed at me, Zemi was watching Shaun the Sheep, it worked out pretty well.

Now, I want to bring some clarification to a few things. I'm not embarking on this journey of diet and overall health because of a health scare or New Years Resolution or anything. I'm weighing in at 215, which isn't too bad for being 6' 3". I wasn't eating great, but not terrible, either. I'm not in shape, but I could run a couple miles if I wanted to. Strength-wise I'm stronger than I've ever been, thanks to hauling a couple 30lb wiggle-worms around all the time. I'm just kind of all around in the middle.

Dare I say: convenient.

And that's why I'm making some changes, making some sacrifices, making things more inconvenient for myself - because it means something, and because its satisfying. I really only have one true health goal, and that is to lay my hands on my great-great-grandchildren and bless them. Sure I'll set short term goals here and there, but I really just want to be around for a while, and see my family grow.

I have a very poignant childhood memory, regarding a Schwartz (Grandma's maiden name, and yes, it's Amish) family reunion. Like most things, you don't realize the value of the moment until you're older. Shortly after the meal, they would have each family head (my great grandpa) stand up, and his/her family would be around them. The entire family, stemming from my great-great grandparents, filled a pole barn. I remember being amazed at how many people came from just two.

Now, my great grandpa was one of 14 (mom, correct me if I'm wrong), and Amish are a pretty fruitful bunch, so it's easy to see how the barn was filled, but looking back on it now I can't help but think: how cool would it have been for my great-great grandparents to be there? That's my dream. Line everybody up, bless them all, then put me out to pasture.

So that's why I spent 10 minutes on the bike tonight. I'm sowing a small seed into a moment 3/4 of a century from now. It's going to be awesome.

Be blessed,

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment