Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Month? Really?

Wow, a month since the last post!  I'm still blown away by how fast time goes.  I've been told by those older than I that it doesn't slow down at all, either.  Melinda and I were just talking about that the other day, about how you just want to hold onto each day but they just seem to rush past so fast (kind of like flipping through music in album view in iTunes).  When I was a kid, time seemed so much slower.  Summers seemed endless.  So did school days.  It seems backwards that now, when I have so much that I care about, it is just zipping by.  So, in thinking about this, I came to the conclusion that I can't be slow-minded when thinking about life.  The picture that comes to mind are those crazy rock climbers who basically throw themselves from handhold to handhold.  There's no time to sit and weigh the options, it's just going for it.  It takes knowing exactly where you're going, and having a set of core principles that determine your actions.  As much as I want to hold on to every moment with my family,  I can't.  So rather than lament my lack of time-travel abilities, what can I do?  It really takes dreaming with God and seeing what He has 20-30 years down the road, and then locking in on that. Letting these core values and future dreams and goals be the constellations that continually orient this ship screaming along at a breakneck pace.

Anyway, enough of the philosophical, slightly abstract stuff.  I read a quote today "nostalgia ain't what it used to be."

So here's the last month:

Kiah is doing great.  Such a strong child.  He almost rolled over tonight!  In a half hour he'll be a month old.  Zemi is transitioning into big sisterhood really well.  This Sunday she will turn two (not going to drift back into paragraph one).  We've been pursuing (for the most part) healthy, sustainable food.  This week we sent in a check to purchase a cow share, which means we will soon be drinking organic, grass-fed raw milk!  Pretty excited about it.  Our goal is for our diet to be well-rounded, organic, whole foods.  As unprocessed as practical.  I'd love to get to the place where most of it is produced locally, too.  Another star in the constellation.

Most of our life has been a blur.  We've had friends and family come and visit and stay with us.  We've had a lot of laughs and great times these past few weeks.  Brewing beer, pouring concrete, watching thunderstorms, mowing the lawn, having my heart filled at "papa lola's" as Zemi puts it, laughing, and getting a little bit of precious sleep when I can.  Bringing back a phrase from an earlier post: man I didn't know it could be this good.

I'm still doing my best to study the end-times teachings, too.  I just finished doing word studies on "Last Day," "Last Days," "Latter Days," "Day of the Lord," and "Day of Judgement."  I wrote notes on each of the verses I found, but I'm mainly going to use them as reference points, and then take it book by book.  I'll post my notes from the book studies, probably starting with Daniel.  I've been learning about, or rather learning that I need to learn about, the apocalyptic phraseology that the prophets used.  Also things like how ancient Hebrew poetry is structured, etc.  Totally different perspectives for me, but I have to remember, I'm a 21st Century Westerner, and this was written in the ancient Middle East.  They didn't write like we do.  I've been listening to people like David Pawson and Dr. Kelly Birks, too.  Opposite ends of the spectrum, but I want to make sure I have a well-rounded diet in this, too, because it is really, really easy to read my biases into the text, and not let the text determine my biases.  Kind of like walking a tightrope at times, but it's good!

So there's the past month.  Scattered, fun, incredible.  Now I'm off to try to catch the elusive wonder we call "sleep."

PB

No comments:

Post a Comment